Friday, July 08, 2005

New Dutch Words

I've recently acquired some new Dutch vocabulary which I'm quite impressed with:

1. 'Potlood-Venter' - Flasher (literally - pencil salesman)
2. 'Stofzuiger' - Vacuum Cleaner (literally - dust sucker)
3. 'Houd je smoel' - 'Shut your Face' (literally - 'Hold your mug')

I'm not sure that these would be useful in an emergency situation, but I quite like them.
My Dutch is still pretty terrible, by the way, but I guess it's slightly less terrible than it was a year ago. Every week I cycle off to my Dutch lesson and my long-suffering teacher Paula patiently listens to my painfully-slow struggles to construct a sentence. I'm getting there, albeit at snail's pace. My main problem is that I work all day in English and then go home to my perfect-English-speaking Dutch boyfriend and watch BBC TV. I go shopping and attempt to order in Dutch, only to get a fluent English response. If anyone is interested in improving their English skills I suggest they move to Holland!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hallo die Lucy....nou ik zal dus in het nederlands schrijven zodat je kan oefenen.
Leuke woorden heb je geleerd meid vooral die potloodventer kan nog weleens van pas komen...hahahahaha.
Verder heb je van mij natuurlijk ook het verschil tussen opa en oma nog mee gekregen gisteravond.
Ik heb deze blog in mijn favorieten gezet zodat ik bij je op bezoek kan komen. Veel liefs van Cobi.