Saturday, August 27, 2005

Making a Splash

When we decided to book a work outing to the Wet 'n Wild water centre in Alphen aan de Rijn I didn't really think through the implications of being towed at high speed around a lake on the end of a bit of wire. It wasn't until we arrived and saw the previous group trying it out that I began to grow a little nervous. Wasn't that a little fast for beginners?!

The evening was pretty chilly and I didn't exactly relish the experience of climbing into an already-soggy wetsuit much. By the time we were lined up on the jetty I wasn't sure whether it was the cold or the nerves that was causing me to shiver, but I managed to pluck up the courage to pull on a pair of waterskis and crouch ready for take off.

Before I knew it I was up on my feet and (much to my amazement) I was waterskiing, just like that! Okay, I got dunked as soon as I reached the first corner, buy heh, it wasn't bad for a first attempt. On subsequent rounds I managed to learn to anticipate the changes in direction and on one final victorious circuit made it right the way round and back with a cheesy grin on my face.

Two days afterwards I felt like I'd been wrestling with a gorilla, but I'm definitely hooked.


No comments: