Monday, September 24, 2007

Dam tot Dam Race 2007

After all the hard work and preparation that leads up to the Dam tot Dam race (an annual 1o mile/16km road race between Amsterdam and Zaandam), I'm happy to say that it was a really successful day yesterday. The sun shone, the skies were blue, everyone was going around with big smiles on their faces, and no one collapsed of heat exhaustion. Phew. Every year the task of organising the work team gets bigger, with more and more runners getting the bug. This year I had 100 runners and 15 crew to look after, both at the start line and at the post-race hospitality in Zaandam. Here I am with Elise and Elisa, just before we left for the start line. Cheesy grins all round.

I ran a tough race this time, and my lungs were fit to burst by the time I reached the finish line, but I did what I set out to do, which was to (finally, after 4 years of trying) break the 1 hr 30 barrier.... and I did it by the skin of my teeth (1hr, 29mins, 44 seconds!). That's around 4 mins faster than last year.


The rest of the team seemed happy with their results too, but even happier once they got their post-race massage and a couple of cans of cold beer!

Lots of photos of the day online here. Also funny videos of me looking knackered at various points during the race here.

No comments: