Thursday, November 01, 2007

Done!

I did it!

Okay, it's taken me nearly two weeks to get round to writing about it, but I'm happy to be able to say that I have now completed my first marathon!


It was a fantastic experience, and I enjoyed it so much that I'm even starting to think about which one I want run next.

The picture was taken just after I finished.
The guy in the background looks pretty excited, but I just look knackered!



The best bits:


Crossing the finish line with a cheesy grin on my face

Telling everyone about it at work the next day and re-living the whole thing

Feeling totally fit and invincible (about two-thirds through the training)

Being part of a little 'Sunday running team'

Being amazed at what my body can do / put up with!

Spotting people I knew in the crowd just when I needed a bit of a lift

Hearing my name called out on by the commentator as I came in to the finish

Getting to run into the Olympic Stadium

Treating myself to new running gear as a treat afterwards

Managing to raise money for the Marie Curie Cancer Fund

Surviving the whole thing with no significant injury


The worst bits:


Discovering whole new levels of leg pain after around 30km!

Having to have a cold bath after the race

Being so sore for a couple of days afterwards that I swore every time I stepped off a curb

The lack of supporters along the way for most of the route - very few people in Amsterdam seem to care much about the Marathon

Feeling like I'd been hit by a car after having 'a bad run day'

Worrying that every little ache or pain will put me out of the race (last third of the training)

Gavin (my training buddy) having to drop out through injury

Having to wake up on a Sunday morning and go out training for 3 hours instead of lying in

Spending a fortune on massage, physio and chiropractor bills.


Now I have to find another goal to motivate me, before I become too used to sitting on my sofa eating M and M's. It's nearly time for the start of the snowboard season.... time to get some different muscles in shape.


2 comments:

drewsonix said...

Lucy! You stopped again!

I remember badgering you to re-start your blog before (and you did - hoorah!) but now wondering if you have left Amsterdam.

I would still love to live there and was hoping to find news of some recent adventures.

Hope you see this msg ;)

drew

Khao Lak Scuba Adventures said...

So cool! Will you come to Khao Lak for marathon, if there is one in the near future?