Friday, March 31, 2006

Dahl for Dummies

I'm going through a bit of a couch-potato phase at the moment, which is okay until I realise that I've been sat infront of a Korean film with Dutch subtitles for the past two hours and have no comprehension of what the hell is going on.

Time to go read a book.

I am enjoying my second literary childhood. I am re-discovering my love of Roald Dahl, but this time I read the stories to Peter in Dutch. My Dutch tutor suggested that I read aloud to a native speaker so that I can be corrected on my (numerous) pronounciation errors. This is all very well, but I seem to have the knack of sending Peter to sleep before I've got through a couple of pages.

Still, I've learned that the Big Friendly Giant (BFG) transforms into the Grote Vriendelijke Reus (GVR) for little Dutch children and that Charlie (of Chocolate Factory fame) becomes Sjakie. Even though it's a bit of a struggle wrestling with the vocabulary the books are still really great and I'm happy to have an excuse for a good bedtime story, even though I was supposed to have grown out of it years ago. I'm just proud to have increased my reading age in recent months - my Jip en Janneke phase seems like a distant dream to me now.

No comments: