Thursday, March 30, 2006

Poor Trousers

My trousers got run over by a train today.

I was busy running along the platform, hoping to catch the metro that was about to pull away when I was suddenly aware of people shouting 'Mevrouw! Mevrouw!!' at me.

I turned to see that my backpack had opened and my various belongings (dirty gym kit, old newspapers, woolley hat, etc etc.) were strewn the entire length of the platform. Embarrassed, I turned back and started collecting everything together, when I noticed one man pointing down at the train rails. We both stood and looked at my poor trousers, lying down there like the victim of a horrible accident. 'Het trein komt Mevrouw' he said (the train is coming Miss). I think he was worried that I would suddenly hurl myself infront of it on some kind of trouser mercy-mission.

Later Peter came in and was complaining that the Metros were delayed due to problems on the line during his trip home from work. I've heard that leaves on the line can wreak havoc, but surely this doesn't extend to clothing? Or does it?

No comments: