Friday, December 22, 2006

Crashing the Circus

It seems that I don't just get Laetitia Griffith's phone calls, I also get her mail. This is altogether more fun than the calls as the mail is less abusive and contains free stuff.

I had an invitation through the mail inviting me (plus guest) to the star-studded premiere of the Christmas Circus at the Royal Theatre Carre in Amsterdam. The presence of my name-sake was required on the red carpet and I didn't want to dissappoint the paparazi, so I RSVP'd....

'Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your kind invitation to the premiere of the Christmas Circus. I would love to attend and bring a friend. Please note that you made an error with the spelling of my name, which is Lucy, not Laetitia.

Kind regards,

Miss L.Griffith'

The promoters were gracious enough to admit they made a mistake but to offer me the tickets anyway, so me and my friend Debbie enjoyed a lovely evening in this gorgeous theatre for free. Judging by the photographers outside I'm guessing there were a few household names there, but to be honest I couldn't pick out a real Dutch celebrity if they came over, hit me on the head and asked for their ticket back.

The circus was great fun - camp costumes, Italian acrobats splitting their trousers, a man doing really scary things on a trapeze which I couldn't even watch, sea lions that could lift a woman on their nose (please no emails from animal rights campaigners), some Russians doing fantastic things with see-saws and all manner of weird and wonderful delights. Sorry Laetitia, you missed out on this one!

No comments: