Thursday, March 01, 2007

Goodbyes

Living in Amsterdam means that you get to mix with people from all over the World on a regular basis, which is fantastic, but the downside of this is that people who you get attached to often move away at what seems like a moment's notice. I've learned to get used to this transient experience, where people suddenly 'up sticks' and move to the other side of the planet. It's sad when they do, but I'm going to have some great holidays in the future visiting them all!

My lovely running-buddy Mairead moved back home to Ireland just after Christmas and now my solo runs just aren't the same without the good-old gossips we used to have. Then our wonderful yoga teacher Lisa returned to Oz. Another great friend Debbie has just three more weeks left in Amsterdam before she goes back home to California - one more difficult goodbye. Last night I went to a leaving do for Laura, who has been working on my team as a physiotherapist. I've only had a short while to get to know her but she's such fantastic company that I'm going to miss her quite a bit (she'll no doubt be on a plane as I type, winging her way back to Australia).

Some friends of Laura and her husband Kees organised a real 'Hollandse' evening for them where we all ate ertwensoep, stamppot and appeltaart - the classic Dutch dishes. My stomach was so full that I don't think I'll need to eat for another week. Laura won't have too much need for the airline food!

Last Saturday marked my four year anniversary of living in Holland. I can't believe how fast time flies. I'm sure there will be some new fresh-faces at work or my new neighbourhood that will become friends and so the adventure continues.... long may it last!

No comments: