Sunday, August 24, 2003

A big run

I just ran 15 km. One and a half hours on the road. Phew.

I'm in training for the Dam Tot Dam Loop on Sunday 21st September (a 16.1 km/10 mile race which starts in Amsterdam and ends in Zaandam). I've been entered as part of the Cisco Team at work and am trying to ensure that I don't lose face amongst my colleagues by dropping out half way through and having to limp home.

I hear rumours that people's expectations are that because I work in the gym I must automatically be a super-fast runner. The fact that I sit on my bum for most of the day seems to have passed them by. This worries me a little because I fall into the 'plod along' category and my only goal so far has been to get through the finish line in one piece. I get the impression that people are now training so that they can 'beat the gym staff'. There was me thinking that I could just enjoy it...

Ah well, four weeks to go. I'm now toying with the target of 1 hr 30 or less, but that depends on how my creaking knees hold out.

No comments: