Sunday, August 24, 2003

Pushing those creaky knees just a little bit further...

I headed out this evening on 'a little bike ride' for some fresh air and the chance to explore. I ended up following my nose and cycling the Dam tot Dam route backwards (towards Amsterdam that is, not facing the wrong way on the saddle, which is the more dangerous of the two). So my little bike ride turned into one of those Amsterdam adventures (this tends to happen quite a bit).

I can now add a few new Dutch experiences to my list. Doing anything new here always gives me a fantastic sense of satisfaction. I have discovered an alternative route in to Amsterdam, taken the short ferry hop over 'het Ij' to Centrum, discovered that the 'Molen' (windmill) park en route is (rather disappointingly) full of large blocks of flats named after windmills rather than the real thing, and learned that it costs over three times more for my bike to travel back to Zaandam on the train than myself.

Just in case anyone's interested, you can check out the route map on the official Dam tot Dam site
I had to get the ferry over because I didn't fancy dodging the cars through the Ij tunnel (I'm assuming they're shutting it off on the day!).


No comments: