Sunday, September 21, 2003

Dam Tot Dam Loop

Just back from the Amsterdam to Zaandam race. I did the ten miles in 1 hr and 35 mins.

It's hardly in the realms of elite athletics, but I'm pretty chuffed as people were dropping like flies in the heat - you don't expect it to be 26 degrees in late-September and most of the route was shade-less. I could feel the afternoon sun beating down on my skull, but tried to put it out of my mind and just kept on running.

It was a great experience and I'm so glad I did it. Amsterdam was full of runners before the race - 28,000 fit bodies all wandering around. I think half of them were in the queue for the ladies infront of me (two tiny portaloos didn't quite meet the demand). Once the race got started the wait was worth it. I loved the first few kilometers and was getting shivers of excitement running down my spine as I got caught up in the atmosphere. As we ran through the big underwater tunnel behind Centraal Station the runners were all clapping their hands and cheering and I had to stop myself from breaking into a sprint with all the adrenaline pumping. I was glad I decided to pace myself when I got beyond the 12 km mark - things were feeling much tougher and I had to grit my teeth, settle into a rhythm and ignore the heat.

It was the Dutch spectators that really made it a special afternoon. Some families had put tables outside of their houses and were giving out drinks. Others had set up hosepipes to provide a welcome cool-down. One old couple had dragged their speakers out into the front garden and were bashing upturned washing up bowls and washboards with wooden spoons along to the rhythm of the music. There was also music provided by brass bands (one band were all wearing clogs!), drummers and military bands.

It was so nice running as part of my work team. We all met in the hospitality tent afterwards and there was a lovely feeling of camaraderie. Plus free beer!!

Am probably insane, but I'm now thinking about the Amsterdam Half Marathon in October.

No comments: