Thursday, November 06, 2003

Cake-Worthy People

I'm flying off (again!) to the UK tomorrow evening to celebrate my birthday with my family. Because tomorrow is my last day at work before I reach the grand old age of 32 I have ordered a cake to share with the people at work.

This is no ordinary cake.

When Lisa was celebrating her birthday a few weeks ago she asked the chef from the company restaurant to bake her a cake to order. The result was a masterpiece. I've never tasted something quite so melt-in-mouth gorgeous. It was the kind of cake that would make you want to marry the man that baked it.

Keen to repeat the experience I've asked him to bake me an identical one. Just the thought of this culinary delight is making my mouth water. The thing is, I can only cut the cake into 8, or maybe 10 slices maximum. In a quiet moment of daydreaming about cake this afternoon (this sugar-obsession is going to have to stop) I was thinking about the people I deemed worthy enough of sharing this glorious taste experience with me.

The thing that made me smile is that whichever way I thought of it, the cake-worthy people far outnumbered the slices. I suddenly realised that there are so many people who I have become very attached to in the seven months or so that I've been working with them. Those special people have made me feel welcome and valued in a new job, a new company and a new country.

A girl couldn't ask for a nicer birthday gift.

No comments: