Sunday, November 30, 2003

Moving On Again...

I am sitting here spending my last hour in my apartment in Zaandam, feeling strangely sentimental. I should be used to the whole moving process by now, but always seem to underestimate the time it will take me to do it. The nomadic existence that I have fallen into has meant that I have moved no less than eight times in the past three years.

I am totally amazed how much stuff I seem to have accumulated since March, especially considering the fact that I moved here with a meager suitcase-full of possessions just over eight months ago. There was me thinking that I led a zen-like existence. I'd forgotten about the dozens of trips to Ikea and, (judging by the amount of H+M carrier bags I counted yesterday) the excessive amount of clothes shopping that's been going on.

So it's goodbye to Zaandam and hello to Amsterdam. The end of an era (and the beginning of a new stage in my Dutch Adventure). The title of this blog is accurate at last!! I'm going to miss Max, my crazy landlord and his peculiar ways, along with the unique apartment that he has provided. It's going to be nice not to have to worry about the lights blacking out every time I use a particular combination of appliances, but this almost added to its charm in the end. I'm also going to miss my gezellig little room with its canal-view from where I can watch the ducks swimming past. Who knows, I might even miss the 1:06 train journeys home after nights out in the City, but to be honest I doubt it! Amsterdam is the place where it all happens and I'm looking forward to being right there in the thick of it.

No comments: