Sunday, October 05, 2003

A Run in the Rain

I spent yesterday afternoon running in Vondelpark with some friends I met at the speed date event.

By the time I arrived at the park I was already exhausted. My bike tyre decided to explode with a defeaning bang en route, causing the whole street to jump as if a gun had been fired. I ended up having to abandon my poor bike in its sorry state on the street and run the rest of the way.

The guys I ran with (Steven who is Dutch and Mike who is Danish) were both lovely. Steven had standard-issue lengthy Dutch legs so the pace he set was pretty hard to keep up with. After 5km or so I had to drop back behind them for a final leisurely lap, but I think I managed without pretty well, especially considering we all got soaked in a bit of a downpour.

At the end of lap three we met for a couple of well-deserved hot chocolates in the cozy warmth of Cafe Vertigo (the Hitchcock reference is due to the fact that it's attached to the Film Museum in the park). We sat slowly steaming and chatting. It looks like this may be the start of a regular little running club!

No comments: