Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Sneeze and Sleaze

I was in the UK last weekend and during my stay I went to a friend's Hen Do in Portsmouth. This can best be described as a day of contrasts, ranging from the sublime to the ridiculous.

The sublime... well, we spent the day in a spa, de-toxing ourselves in preparation for a bit of alcohol-based toxification during the evening to come. One of the 'treats' that I chose was a session in a flotation tank. I had a whole hour to float effortlessly in the buoyant water contained in a little pitch-black chamber. The sensation was pretty pleasant, apart from the fact that about 20 minutes into the session I started to sneeze and then rubbed my eyes (forgetting about the high salt content of the water). This didn't really aid the whole sensory-deprivation experience.

The ridiculous.... this was provided during our evening meal by our waiter, Rod. Now, Rod was quite a character. Despite looking like he was pushing 50 he fancied himself as a bit of a Dream Boy. He was wearing a white shirt unbuttoned to his navel (revealing his fake tan) and white mesh trousers over a white thong. As we reached the dessert course he decided to stand on our table and take off the lot (and I mean the lot). As if the chocolate ice cream wasn't enough to induce nausea.

No comments: